Tuesday 7 November 2017

Immune to intoxication!




“The cool breeze that touches you,
The moonlight that intoxicates you ...
Wish I was the breeze,
Wish I was the moon to you.”

Such poetry! Only a lover could utter such words ... Because only love is so far removed from reality. I shook my head at the couple sitting on the bench beside me. They were oblivious to my presence. Love does that. But moonlight that intoxicates? Seriously? I looked up at the moon and sighed. A celestial object is put on a pedestal and is almost idolised by lovers and poets of the world alike.
“A celestial object. So, that is all that I am?”
I looked around me.
“If only you would gracefully set your sight a bit higher you would know it is me, the humble moon that is talking to you.”
Suddenly the couple got up and started walking away. Maybe they wanted to act upon the ‘intoxication’ now.
“So you choose to ignore me? Amusing really!”
“I am not going to talk to an inanimate astral object. Whatever that the woolly-headed love fanatics may think of you, I am unaffected by your so called magic and beauty. Your fanciful intoxication is wasted upon me. Go find someone else.”
 “So sure you are of yourself! Immune to my charms?”
“I am immune to any charm or intoxication or concoction that is known to mankind. I am made of much practical composition.”
The moon smiled. “Proof of the pudding in the eating. See that pond close by? Go and look in the pond. You will see my reflection. My radiant reflection. Keep looking at it and then prove your non-intemperance.”
I stared at the moon. I guess the only way to prove it wrong was by proving it wrong. So I walked to the pond and saw the reflection of the moon. The cool calm water held the reflection of the moon in its lap, very tenderly. The breeze sent gentle ripples on the water and it looked as if the moon’s reflection was smiling, almost like a small child that is being carried by its mom. I looked up at the moon and said “Better luck next time. I am still thinking coherently and thet itself pruvs thet yur charm and byutee hazant workd on me. I am imyun!”
“But of course! So you are!” sed the mun, gladlee aksepting difeet.
And with dhis, let it be nown to the wurld thet I em imyun to the charms of the mun. And yu all bear vitnes to dhis as yu too prifer to reed dhis radher dhan luk up at the silli mun. Charm and intoksikeshan? Yeah rait!

Sighhhh!

No comments:

Post a Comment