Friday 17 February 2017

Leona's Homecoming


I went looking for her everywhere.
Beyond the purple mountains and the green seas
On a little raft
Made of honeysuckle leaves.
I had no oars
So I paddled with my hands
Till I reached the golden sands.
There I met a fairy under a palm tree
Who buzzed in my ear like a bee.
“The one that you look for awaits you already ...
Off you go homeword bound, ready and steady!”
Slowly and steadily,
Homeward you came.
But she wasn’t there,
Oh what a shame!
I wailed and I cried ...
For the fairy had lied.
I returned in vain
But that’s not the last I tried.
Don’t lose heart
That you couldn’t find her there.
Take a voyage across the pink seas,
Even if you dislike the sea fare.
The sea deters me not
For I love her above my fear.
I shall bring her back home.
Bring her back to love and care.
Oh how she craves for
Home and the shore.
There is nothing in this world
That she would want anymore.
I row for her.
I row for myself.
Her home, her solace.
I shall bring her back
Whatever I may have to brace.
Happiness wouldn’t wait,
So she rowed for it.
Oh how would the sun shine
If its hearth no one lit?
I found her rowing
Braving the seas.
Swimming against the tides ...
She now deserves dry land,
She now deserves peace.
She would be glad
To finally set foot on the lands.
What could finally be had
Was the clasp of warm hands.
Her hands I held
And brought her home.
To a warm fireplace
To freshly baked cakes and hot coffee
Freshly brewed for her, by me.
Coffee and cakes
And sweet winds in the air.
So good she makes ‘em
It’s not even fair.
She tasted not the food or drink,
She tasted love I think.
For the smile that she beamed
It was for a song that I sing.
She couldn’t help it.
It made her cry, that song.
The voices of her heart,
Which she hadn’t heard in long.
I wiped her tears
And she put her head on my lap ...
“No more tears my child!”
I said to her with many a loving pat.
In her lap she forgot her longings,
She was home,
That’s all she knew of things.
I lifted her and carried her to bed.
Tucked her under a blanket.
With love, with care
I kissed her head.
Little does she know
That she is never alone.
An angel guards her forever,
An angel that will never leave her lone.

No comments:

Post a Comment